Brain & Bracket Busters
Every year, Loons players embark on a 140-game journey through the Midwest. They come prepared, with all the proper baseball equipment and conditioning drills necessary to survive the grind. But while their physical strengths have been jogged at Spring Training, their mental strengths have not been fully tested until competing in Loons Trivia, as featured on ESPN1009.com’s Crunch Time.
Loons Trivia, debuting this season, is a 16-man tournament that determines which Loon is the smartest, in both a random knowledge and trivia strategies sense. To establish the initial seeding of the tournament, each player took the following test and received one point per correct answer. See how many points you can score.
- Name as many actors in Oceans 11 as you can in 20 seconds.
- Name America’s first Vice President.
- The 2003 Boston Red Sox had eight players finish the season with 85+ RBI. Name them.
- Name as many countries (sovereign states) as you can in South America.
- Name the original Beatles.
- Identify the colleges of these sportsmen: Daniel Bard, John Shoemaker, Ryan Zimmerman, Andre Ethier, Tom Seaver, Nick Swisher, Skip Schumacher.
- Name the scientific element: Na, K, H, Al, Fe.
- Name the home venue of the following sports teams: Pittsburgh Pirates, Chicago Bears, Los Angeles Kings, Denver Nuggets, Manchester United, (variants) Name the Centre Court at the Australian Open; the Speedway of the Indianapolis 500
- Name the state capitol of the following states: California, Delaware, Texas, Maine, Florida
After a late night of grading test scores, the bracket was set. Now a few months since its start, we are down to the Final Four, featuring Scott Schebler (3), Jesse Bosnik (4), Kevin Taylor (9) and Pratt Maynard (15). The semifinal between Scott and Pratt will debut on Crunch Time, Thursday, July 19. Until then, watch how Scott defeated Loons catcher Andrew Edge in the quarters.
To continue the show, as hosted by ESPN 100.9-FM’s Jared Sandler, watch parts two and three on Crunch Time.
And if you just looove brackets, then spend some time today voting for Loons pitcher Duke von Schamann in the Moniker Madness bracket.